External Affairs Manager, BIVDA
Closing Date 30 August 2019 (unless a suitable applicant is appointed earlier).
This is an exciting opportunity to join a small team who work to represent the BIVDA member companies in the in vitro diagnostics industry. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working both independently and as an integral part of the team, including supervising an External Affairs Assistant.
The role offers the unique opportunity to work across public affairs, policy, and wider external communications. It would suit a confident individual who is perhaps moving into a managerial position and is passionate about improving the wider healthcare experience across the UK. As such, an interest in healthcare policy would be highly beneficial.
The role of BIVDA as an industry association is to support the commercial activities of its member companies and to campaign for a wider understanding of the value of diagnostic testing in healthcare. The office works routinely with the NHS, Government, politicians, NGOs and the media as part of its external activity.
The role is office based although occasional travel may be required outside of London.
We are looking for a skilled and motivated individual to join us as External Affairs Manager. You will work closely with the Chief Executive to support the goals of BIVDA.
• Support the Chief Executive on matters of public affairs, policy and communications
• Organise significant stakeholder activity, including meetings, workshops, forums and written submissions, taking responsibility for their success
• Work closely with the Chief Executive in developing and implementing the BIVDA strategy for engaging with external stakeholders
• Building effective working relationships with BIVDA’s partner organisations and stakeholders
• Deputise for the Chief Executive at relevant meetings and conferences
• Act as BIVDA’s representative at party conferences, to MPs and APPGs
• Manage BIVDA’s social media activity
• Write articles for BIVDA publications, and external magazines
• Develop BIVDA policy positions
• Communicate policy developments to the membership
• Ensure relevant content is displayed on the website
• Main point of contact for public affairs enquiries
• Assist with communications with trade press and media as required
• Manage the External Affairs Assistant
Knowledge and skills:
• Excellent written and verbal skills- particularly the ability to disseminate highly technical information to a wide range of audiences
• Excellent communications skills, including the ability to actively engage individuals at all levels in both political and industry positions
• An understanding of the NHS, healthcare policy, and the challenges facing the industry would be highly beneficial
• A strong understanding of UK parliamentary procedure and policy formation
• A great sense of camaraderie and dedication to a wider team
• The ability to pitch-in and work across the organisation as needed
• Prior experience with membership management would also be an advantage
To apply, please send a full CV with a covering letter to Doris-Ann Williams, Chief Executive